Business Insurance in Nevada

You can start the quote process now by selecting your industry and profession below.
In minutes, you can compare quotes from top insurance companies without having to talk to an agent.

It’s no secret that we love insurance here at Talage, and odds are you don’t (that’s ok - we can still be friends). But, we do know you love your business and want to protect it, so we’ve provided information about insurance in Nevada. Our advice: protect what you’ve built and carry both workers’ comp and liability insurance.

What kind of business insurance do I need in Nevada?

Workers’ Compensation Insurance in Nevada

Every employer in Nevada is required by law to carry workers’ compensation insurance if they have one or more employees (so, if you have any employees). This applies to all industries (private, public, non-profit) and employees (full time, part time, minors). The bottom line - if you have employees, you need a workers’ compensation insurance policy.

Workers' compensation insurance helps protect your business from the costs associated with an employee injured at work. Typically, it would pay for medical bills and recovery costs, as well as some of the missed wages. In the event of a death, workers’ compensation insurance can help with the costs of the funeral or death benefits to the employee’s family. Workers’ comp can also help cover legal expenses if an employee sues the business over an injury that isn’t covered by the policy.

General Liability Insurance in Nevada

General liability insurance isn’t required by law, but we believe every business should protect itself with liability insurance. It pairs nicely with workers’ compensation insurance because it can cover expenses for non-employee injuries that occur at your business. What’s more, it covers product liability, libel/slander, and even damage you may cause to somebody else’s property. If your business is sued your liability insurance policy may cover you for legal expenses (both legal fees and settlements). If you like tightrope walking without a net, you’re probably not the type that would want liability insurance. For everybody else, this policy (sold together as a business owner’s policy - BOP) helps protect the business you’ve built.

Property Insurance in Nevada

Property insurance isn’t required by law either, but if you have a landlord, they’ll likely require that you carry property insurance. It typically comes bundled with liability insurance as a business owner’s policy (BOP). This portion of the bundle protects your building and its contents from terrifying things like fire, explosions, burst water pipes, storms, and theft. Coverage against other natural disasters typically need to be added on to the policy.

What do I need to know about Workers’ Comp Insurance in Nevada?

All states have unique exemptions to their Workers’ Compensation insurance laws. We’ve outlined a few of the unique aspects of the state of Nevada, but for a complete and updated listing, be sure to visit the Nevada Division of Industrial Relations website.

Exceptions to Nevada's Workers' Compensation laws:

  • Any person whose employment is both casual (employment lasting no more than 20 days with a labor cost of less than $500) and not in the course of the trade, business, profession or occupation of his employer.
  • Any person engaged as a theatrical or stage performer or in an exhibition.
  • Musicians when their services are merely casual in nature and not lasting more than 2 consecutive days, and not recurring for the same employer, as in wedding receptions, private parties and similar miscellaneous engagements.
  • Any person engaged in household domestic service, farm, dairy, agricultural or horticultural labor, or in stock or poultry raising.
  • Any person performing services as a voluntary ski patrolman who receives no compensation for his services other than meals, lodging, or use of the ski tow or lift facilities.
  • Any person who performs services as a sports official for a nominal fee at a sporting event that is amateur, intercollegiate or interscholastic and is sponsored by a public agency, public entity or private, nonprofit organization. “Sports official” includes an umpire, referee, judge, scorekeeper, timekeeper or other person who is a neutral participant in a sporting event.
  • Any clergyman, rabbi or lay reader in the service of a church, or any person occupying a similar position with respect to any other religion.
  • Any real estate broker, broker-salesman or salesman licensed pursuant to chapter 645 of NRS.
  • Any person who:
    • (a) Directly sells or solicits the sale of products, in person or by telephone:
      • (1) On the basis of a deposit, commission, purchase for resale or similar arrangement specified by the Administrator by regulation, if the products are to be resold to another person in his home or place other than a retail store; or
      • (2) To another person from his home or place other than a retail store;
    • (b) Receives compensation or remuneration based on sales to customers rather than for the number of hours that he works; and
    • (c) Performs pursuant to a written agreement with the person for whom the services are performed which provides that he is not an employee for the purposes of this chapter.
Real estate brokers and salesmen are not employers under certain circumstances. Any person who engages an independent contractor to maintain or repair property on behalf of an individual property owner or an association of property owners is not a statutory employer.

Nevada doesn't have a state-administered Workers' Comp fund, but you can purchase coverage from a commercial provider. Eligible businesses may also choose to self- insure.


Licensed contractors need to be wary because Nevada has a broad definition of principal contractor. “Principal contractor” means a person who:
  1. Coordinates all the work on an entire project;
  2. Contracts to complete an entire project;
  3. Contracts for the services of any subcontractor or independent contractor; or
  4. Is responsible for payment to any contracted subcontractors or independent contractors.
If you meet any one of the above criteria, you are a “principal contractor.” You are subject to monetary penalties, criminal prosecution, and/or being ordered to shut your business down if insurance coverage is not provided for your subcontractors, independent contractors and their employees. You, your subcontractor, or independent contractor must provide this coverage. You will be held responsible if no coverage exists.

Who can provide insurance coverage in Nevada?

You can obtain Workers’ Comp and Liability insurance from a licensed insurance company. We can help find you a policy right here on the Talage website! You can shop and compare quotes instantly online and purchase a plan in only 12 minutes.

More information about insurance in Nevada

We’re not lawyers, but we’re insurance savvy and are here to help you get the information you’re looking for. If you want to be sure you’re fully compliant with the law, make sure you work with an attorney and read Nevada's current laws. You can find out more about Workers' Compensation on the Nevada Division of Industrial Relations website.